Thursday, June 4, 2009

Yes, I am at work right now.

Yay for having a computer at work!

... but seriously. I can't lie, hearing the whole thing about Izzy and Nick and the near-actual-breakup and dating someone else for a while freaked me out. I always looked to them, consciously or not, as some kind of model for a long-term, long-distance relationship. They're one of those couples where you expect them to get married as soon as college is over, not get embroiled in some weird kind of drama reminiscent of someone else's life. But in all fairness, that's a whole lot of heaping my own expectations on something that I know absolutely nothing about. Also, That line of thinking involves not dealing with life as it's happening to me and trying to make sense of someone else's life as if it were my own.

Either way, I worked myself up over this for a couple hours, probably, until it dawned on me out of nowhere: That was her choice.

It frightened me initially because the whole ordeal proved that yes, it is indeed possible to get embroiled in this kind of drama even if you've had the steadiest, most drama-free relationship ever for the past six years.

But maybe that's part of it: Six years is a long time. People change between freshman year of high school and junior year of college.

In any event, I was thinking--rational or not, I don't care, this is how I was thinking--that if it could happen to her, then it could happen to me. But not like something I wanted; in my mind that kind of drama happens more like a coconut falling out of the sky and landing on my head, and then a flying monkey tries to drag me off kicking and screaming. And then the light bulb came on: It was her choice. It is not my life. The whole drama-tastic situation isn't a flying monkey waiting for the right moment to drop the coconut; life just turned out that way, and that was her decision in dealing with it. But--and here is the important end of that thought--if the same thing happened to me, I would be free to choose however I wanted.

Sometimes I feel like life is sitting out in front of me, already mapped out, but I'm feeling around blindly in the dark and no one's telling me the direction I'm supposed to go. Kind of like when my sister had to write her first research paper and the teacher wouldn't tell the class what exactly they needed to do, she just told them when they were doing it wrong. I suppose the end result of that mindset is that I feel like there's a flying monkey waiting just around the corner to drop a coconut on my head and steal my wallet. But I'm pretty sure that life isn't that way.

I guess, if I had to pin it down, that you can't ever be sure what life is exactly like. But that uncertainty is something you can hang your plans on. "All I know is that I don't know nuthin'." I have to remind myself of that a lot. There are a lot of fears crowding around inside my head: Unalterable destiny of graduationmarriage, the whole idea of graduationmarriage, my extreme perfectionism that makes me worry about these things that actually have no bearing on present day, present time ... but I constantly have to remind myself, for my own benefit more than anyone else's, that these thoughts are merely thoughts; they can't take substance and hurt me. They can't attack me out of nowhere. Once I actually acknowledge that they're there, they're easier to work around--instead of pulling the strings in my mind, they're just rocks jutting out of the waters I'm trying to navigate: Still there, but separate, complete, avoidable.

Sometimes I think I'm crazy, but then I remember, hey, I'm just a woman. I've got fourteen open windows in my head right now and popup ads intruding all over the place, and that's okay. =P

1 comment:

ana lisette said...

OK. Are you ready for this? I mean it, ARE YOU READY FOR THIS?? No really, are YOU--ok I guess you got it. =P
I'm telling you, you gotta chill. I know you know this already, and that it drives you crazy because you do, but then you freak out again, etc., etc., etc...But I think that the only way to really bust out of the orbit of scary thoughts is for something totally completely freakishly out of the ordinary to happen. In my case I got kicked out of school for a semester. I don't feel like a useless moron anymore. I feel like a real human, functioning adult. I care more about other people, but care less about what other people THINK. You know what I mean? Sure you do. Now, I'm not saying you have to have a mega traumatic event happen...but at some point you're going to have a mental breakthrough of some sort. I think that what you have to realize is that you have to let it happen. JUST CHILL. CHILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL. LL. LLLLLL. LLLL!!!!....L.

(haha)

Also, I'm sure you know this by now, but here's just a real life situation. The whole "it could happen to me" thing is completely and utterly irrational. YOU'RE NOT ANYONE BUT YOU! therefore, no one's life can really apply to you, or your life as it's happening. there are way too many factors to consider. The fact that you're a totally different person is just the tip of the iceberg. It reminds me of when I got in trouble in middle school for talking back to my teachers, landing myself in detention, not turning my homework in on time, and my parents giving me long lectures about how one day I was going to get to the height of defying authority, decide I'd had it with obeying my parents rules, drop out of school, run off with my boyfriend, get pregnant, live in a shack in South Dallas (scary, for real) and get stuck on welfare for the rest of my life. I was like, that's NEVER going to happen. -OH! OH! So you think it can't happen to you?? It happens ALL. THE. TIME.!!!! ESPECIALLY! to HISPANIC. girls.-
now where am I? In college, single, a virgin, not on welfare.
So this is just to remind you that the only thing that you know FOR SURE that can HAPPEN to you is death. Now that's totally inevitable. When you get it into that perspective, it really frees up a lot of your brain space, and you can empty out all the freaking-out cells, and replace them with optimism cells. Because really? You can do whatever you want. You are Emily. Now go roar or something.